Interactive Bar

Google Services


School Updates

Google Translate

Brookfields Primary School



At Brookfields School we are committed to ensuring that all children become independent learners and reach their full potential. We seek early identification of children’s individual and specific areas of need and make provision to meet their needs.



You can read more information about how we support children with SEND in our SEND Information Report below.


1. What kinds of support do we offer for children with Special Educational Needs?


·     Quality First Teaching


·     Small group targeted intervention and personalised learning opportunities


·     Individual targeted interventions


The types of SEN that we support at Brookfields are:


·     Cognition and Learning


-     How your child thinks, learns and understands their world.


·     Communication and Interaction


-     How your child talks to, listens, responds, plays and learns with other children and adults.


·     Social, Emotional and Mental Health difficulties


-     How your child shows their feelings, negotiates and solves problems in different situations and handles changes of routine.


·     Sensory and/or Physical needs


-     How your child responds to their environment and learning using their senses and any diagnosed medical issues.


We support children through Quality First Teaching


This means that:


·     The teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.


·     All teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and understands.


·     Different ways of teaching are used so that your child is fully motivated to be involved in their learning.


·     Your child’s progress is constantly checked to ensure that the teaching and any additional resources meets their needs.


We support children through targeted group work known as personalised learning


This is where your child works with a smaller group of children, who are at a similar place in their learning, often called an intervention or booster group.


For your child this would mean:


·     Working in small group sessions on specific targets or objectives to support their progress personalised to their needs.


·     These sessions are usually led by a pupil support assistant or teacher, under the direction of the class teacher, with advice from the Inclusion Manager and Senior Leader for School Improvement (Inclusion).


·     Progress is constantly monitored to ensure that this small group work meets the group’s needs.


We support children through targeted individual work


For your child this would mean:


·     Working 1 to 1 on specific targets to support their progress.


·     These sessions can be led by a trained Pupil Support Assistant under the direction of the Class Teacher, with advice from and any outside agencies involved.


·     Progress is constantly monitored to ensure that 1 to 1 interventions are meeting the child’s needs.


2. How are Special Educational Needs identified?


How do parents/carers raise concerns?


Talk to us:


·     Firstly contact your child’s class teacher or speak to school’s Parent Support Adviser to discuss your initial concerns.


·     Inclusion Manager Mrs. J McFall


We pride ourselves on listening to and building positive relationships with our parents/carers.


How does the school identify a child’s Special Educational Need?


·     Regular discussions with parents/carers about any concerns with your child’s learning or progress.


·     Class Teachers will raise concerns with parents/carers and the Inclusion Manager  following day to day teaching and observations or end of term assessments.


·     Class Teachers and Senior Leaders will identify children who are not making expected progress from the schools tracking system. This is carried out at least three times a year.


·     Advice is requested from appropriate outside agencies to identify specific needs using specialist assessment.


3. How will school monitor the progress of children with SEN?




·     Set and review individual targets during the year.


·     Check that additional support the child receives is planned and monitored carefully by the class teacher and Senior Leaders


·     Have regular meetings between Class Teachers, Pupil Support Assistants and Senior Leaders to discuss children’s progress and provision.


Who will explain this to me?


·     Class Teachers will meet with parents/carers at least on a termly basis, this could be part of progress meetings or as a review of termly targets to discuss and review your child’s needs, support and progress.


·     The Inclusion Manager and Senior Leaders are available for further information and discussion.


·     Children with a Statement/EHC plan will have annual reviews.


4. What extra-curricular activities can a pupil with Special Educational Needs access at school?


Brookfields is an inclusive school and all activities are available to pupils with SEN. If appropriate, reasonable adjustments will be made, to meet the needs of the individual child, so they can participate.


Class teachers or office staff will be able to tell you what before and after school clubs/activities are available.


5. Who are the best people to talk to about SEN?


We always encourage you to speak to your child’s class teacher about any concerns you may have about your child. However, if you have a specific concern about your child’s learning, special educational or additional need then the Inclusion Manager can be available to speak to you.


The Inclusion Manager are teachers who are responsible for supporting members of staff, parents/carers and pupils in meeting the additional needs of all children. They have training in co-ordinating SEN across the school.


The name of our SENDCO is:

Mrs. J. McFall (


They can be contacted by arranging an appointment through the school office.


6. What training have staff to support children with Special Educational Needs?


To ensure our staff have the skills and knowledge to support children with SEN there is a programme of on-going training, both in school and off-site.


7. How does the school get more specialist help?


At Brookfields, if we feel a child needs more specialist help we can work with a range of outside agencies. We may need your permission before some specialists will become involved with your child.


Agency or Service

Who they work with

Educational Psychology Service

Children with more significant and complex learning needs.

Provide school staff with advice on teaching strategies, resources, individual and whole school training

Pupil and School Support (PSS)

Provide school staff with advice on teaching strategies and resources, individual and whole school training to support pupils with difficulties in language, English and Maths.

Individual assessments of pupils who are not making progress in language, English and Maths and advice on next steps.

Speech and Language Therapy Service (SaLT)

Children who are referred by the GP or school who have specific speech or language needs. Provide school with advice on work that can be carried out in school as well as providing specific programmes in clinic.

School has a visiting SaLT, weekly, to support children.

Communication and Autism Team

Children with social and communication difficulties or a diagnosis of Autism.

Provide individual and whole school training for staff with advice on teaching strategies, resources for pupils with Autism.

Sensory Support Service

Children with visual or hearing impairments. Provide school with advice regarding resources and strategies to support children with sensory impairments

Wilson Stuart Outreach

Children with gross motor skill difficulties.

Provide school with advice regarding resources and strategies to support children with physical difficulties.

City of Birmingham School

(Behaviour support)

Children with challenging behaviours as part of a SEMH (social emotional or mental health) need.

Provide school staff with advice on teaching strategies, resources, individual and whole school training


Health professionals

Provide advice and support for staff working with individual children with health needs.

School Nurse

Occupational therapist


Child Development Centre

Children and Mental Health Services (CAMHS)

Now known as FTB (Forward thinking Birmingham)

Children with specific mental health issues e.g. anxiety/ depression.


8. How are the parents of children involved in the education of pupils with Special Educational Needs?


·     Regular review meetings


·     Progress meetings with class teacher and other relevant inclusion staff.


·     Annual reviews for children with statements/EHC plan


·     Inspire workshops, class assemblies, some specific class workshops or coffee mornings.


9. How are pupils with Special Educational Needs involved in their own education?


All pupils are involved and encouraged to take part in their own learning journey, for example:


·       Developing and achieving targets


·       Attending Progress meetings with parents


·       Self-assessment and evaluation


·       All children are encouraged to speak to a member of staff if they have a concern or worried about anything.


·       Pupil Voice/School Council


Children identified with SEN additional needs are also involved in:


·       Annual Review Meetings


·       Child friendly personalised target setting



10. What support services are available to help Parents/carers with children with Special Educational Needs?


Our school Parent Support Advisor or Inclusion Manager will be able to advise you on the support services available to you, both locally and nationally.


It is recommended that you contact your GP to discuss any concerns you may have about your child’s needs and to seek medical support, guidance and assessments if appropriate.


Parent Partnership Services are a support service we also recommend to you. They can offer independent and unbiased advice and information about the assessment procedures and educational provision for your child. 


You can find out more under the 'Parents' tab on our home page. Do take a look.


11. How will we support your child through transitions?


Before your child starts at our school:


·       Visit to existing school or home visit where relevant.


·       Transition days – staggered at times of the day to meet the needs of the child e.g. after school, during class time.


When they are moving to a new school:


·       Additional visits to the new school for children with specific needs


·       Contacting key personnel at receiving school.


·       Reviews centred on the needs of your child involving yourself, staff and relevant agencies when appropriate (Person Centred Review).


·       All relevant documentation about your child shared with new setting.


When children are moving into the next class:


·       Your child’s new teacher will be informed of your child’s needs and what works best for them.


12. How can parents/carers find the Birmingham Local Authority’s Local Offer for SEN?


You can find the Birmingham Local Authority’s local offer on the Authority’s website:

Please also look under Parents tab on main page for ways to support you child with SEN at home.


You can find the Create Partnership Trust SEND Policy for Brookfields Primary School on the Create Partnership Trust website’s Policies page: Policies & Documents — Create Partnership Trust

Arrangements for handling complaints from parents of children with special educational needs (SEN) about the support the school provides

In the first instance, please contact the SENCO to outline your complaint. If you feel that your complaint has not been resolved satisfactorily please follow the guidance in the Create Partnership Trust Complaints Policy.


Parents can be signposted to SENDIASS (parent support agency) for support.


The SEN Code of Practice outlines additional measures the Local Authority must set up for preventing and resolving disagreements. Parents/carers will be given the necessary information upon request.


Bottom Information

Ofsted Good


Safeguarding Information

At Brookfields safeguarding of pupils is at the forefront of everything we do. Check out our safeguarding page for the latest information and advice.

Read More