Welcome to our English page!
You can click on the stars above to find out about all the different aspects of our English curriculum at Brookfields.
Our aims in the teaching of English are as follows (Intent):
- That pupils develop an excellent phonic knowledge and skills, which they can use to support them when reading and writing.
- That pupils develop fluency and accuracy in reading across a wide range of contexts throughout the curriculum.
- That pupils develop knowledge of an extensive and rich vocabulary.
- That pupils develop excellent comprehension of texts.
- That pupils feel motivation to read for both study and for pleasure.
- That pupils develop an extensive knowledge through having read a rich and varied range of texts.
- The ability to write fluently and with interesting detail on a number of topics throughout the curriculum.
- That pupils will develop a vivid imagination which makes readers engage with and enjoy their writing.
- That pupils will have highly developed vocabulary and an excellent knowledge of writing techniques to extend details or description.
- That pupils will develop well-organised and structured writing, which includes a variety of sentence structures.
- That pupils will have excellent transcription skills that ensure their writing is well presented and punctuated, spelled correctly and neat.
- That pupils will develop a love of writing and an appreciation of its educational, cultural and entertainment values.